Bicycles are a popular form of transportation in Japan. However, when parked they can take up a lot of public space that could otherwise be used by pedestrian foot traffic, small storefronts, etc.
Rather than take up valuable real estate above ground, store them safely underground where they are protected from the weather and would-be thieves, while freeing up valuable public space.
The ECO Cycle
Anti-seismic Underground Bicycle Park by Giken
How It Works
1. IC tag fixed on front frame of bicycle is read automatically by the sensor in front of the Entrance Door, and then the Front Wheel Shutter opens automatically. Then, the front wheel should be placed into the open space.
2. After the front wheel is fixed by the Clamp, step away from the mat and then press the Loading Button.
3. The Entrance Door opens automatically and then the bicycle is conveyed into the Eco-cycle. The door closes automatically. It is the end of loading operation.
4. Transporting Tray brings the bicycle down with revolving action to a vacant pallet.
5. The Transporting Tray slides to place the bicycle at the vacant pallet. It is the end of loading bicycle.
Construction and Specifications
- Earthquake-proof wall composed of pressed-in piles which form cylindrical wall
- The Eco-cycle is completed by using prefabricated materials
- Max bicycle weight 30kg (66 lbs)
- Parking capacity: 204
- Retrieval speed: 13 seconds
- Depth: 11.65 meters (38.22 ft)
- Diameter: 8.55 meters (28 ft)
1. Pressing-in piles to form cylindrical wall by using a dedicated designed Silent Piler
2. Excavation inside the shaft to create the underground space
3. Installation of Mechanical parking system inside the shaft
4. Installation of the prefabricated entrance booth